The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the United States of America is one of the oldest and largest fraternal organizations in the country. Since its inception in 1868, the Elks have created a quiet network of benevolence that has changed millions of lives for the better. Our charitable giving comes from the generosity of Elks members whose willingness to share, long-term planning, and time devoted to volunteerism reinforces the Order. Of note is that the Elks have never received any funding from our government; our elected leadership at all levels serve without salaries.
A BRIEF TIMELINE
HISTORY of PALM COAST ELKS LODGE #2709
By Ralph Dodge, Charter Officer & PER
Circa 1992 (Lodge completion)
"Early in 1985, a group of six to eight men got together and began to talk about starting a Lodge of Elks in Palm Coast.
A very fine gentlemen named Paul Branchard got things rolling along with Bill Ericson, Ernest Kutter, Martin Mertz a few others and myself. They got in touch with the St. Augustine Lodge, who in turn became the "Mother Lodge of Sponsor" for our charter. They gave us name and telephone numbers of fellow brothers who were known as "Orphan Brothers". These are men that are Elks, but don't have or partake in any one Lodge in the area.
We all took a list of a names and started calling. Between the list and talk around town, we came up with 250 or so members to achieve our charter.
With Doug Cook and other dignitaries of the Grand Lodge and a lot of man hours, Palm Coast Lodge 2709 of the B.P.O.E. began.
Here we are six years old and we now have our own building that we can call home.
CONGRATULATIONS to everyone that has worked so hard and diligently in order to achieve our goal."